What is Telematics
A client asked me the other day what telematics referred to. Telematics is the monitoring and interaction with vehicles using GPS and onboard diagnostics. ConnectiX discusses “providing your organisation with live vehicle monitoring, both of your workforces as well as third parties. The provision of driver dashboards, route selection, compliance and behaviour monitoring can be essential to lower the risk to your business of outsourcing.”
We need to look at its benefits to better understand telematics. Within fleet management telematics can improve;
• Productivity – monitoring, tracking, dispatching, reporting and routing tools.
• Safety – behaviour monitoring, accident notifications, and in vehicle coaching.
• Optimisation – vehicle monitoring, predictive maintenance, fuel management and diagnostics.
• Compliance – trip logging, hours of use, log book replication and inspections.
• Integration – linking with onboard camera, CRM and supply chain tools.
Very little telematics is currently used outside of GPS monitoring and outside the logistics industries. As it is an established technology, it can be easily applied to all industries with fleet and supply chain logistics.
Growing Up – Unleash Your Business Growth
Apart form my series on technology, I have just published a book “Growing Up – Unleash Your Business Growth” aimed at Business Owners who have a passion and vision for Business Growth. If you manage a medium size business, are battling with growth roadblocks and have a passion to change I am happy to send you a copy of my book free of charge. (yes it is a real book, not an ebook). Follow the link at www.unleashyourbusinessgrowth.com
David Nixon is a Director, Advisor, Author and Entrepreneur and recognised as Australia’s Authority on Unleashing Growth Barriers For SME’s.
Also check out my advisory services here!